This is a common question for most Revit Newbies. Should I send the Central file or my local file to our consultants? The answer is No to both. Your model needs to be Detached from Central before it is good for your consultants use. Here are the steps I do to prepare the model for sending.
1. Have the whole team “Synchronize” their local files to Central and close the file.
2. Open the Central File. Check “Detach from Central” & “Audit”, uncheck “Create New Local”.
3. Once you click Open, a dialog box will pop up. Select Detach & preserve worksets.
4. “Purge” unused objects in the model. Go to Manage tab > Purge Unused (under Settings panel).
5. Remove unused Links. Go to Manage tab > Manage Links (under Manage Project panel). Click through the tabs to remove all the links (AutoCAD and Revit Links) from the file.
6. Save the file. Save As > Project > Options > Check “Make this a Central File” and “Compact File”.
7. Save the file with the same filename as your original Central File
8. Click the Sync button to relinquish all the worksets and save again. There is check box in the Sync window you need to check manually to release all Worksets. (Thanks to Teri’s comment)
9. Close Revit and delete the backup file
10. You are ready to send the *.rvt file to your consultants.